4.1.11

Day 3: October 3, 2010

Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini:  Let me put it this way.  Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes.
Vizzini:  Morons!


Kids,

Daddy is not very smart, but I know a lot of smart people.  I have been very fortunate to go to school and work with doctors, pilots, lawyers, teachers, military leaders, and business people.  Smart people have taught me some very important lessons:

1)  Smart people weren't born smart:
Sure, God gives some the ability to conquer calculus, others to rebuild an engine, some to paint a mural, others to write a novel, but smart people love to learn.  They have a natural curiosity about the world around them, which encourages them to study and become experts in the things they are already interested in.  My hope is that you pick up on this passion to learn.

2) Smart people aren't necessarily the ones who get A's:
Don't chase after grades--seek to understand, and do the necessary work.  Smart and lazy is a dangerous combination (believe me, I speak from experience!).  And remember, if you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over!  I don't care if you get the best grades, but I do care if you don't try your best.  I know this will frustrate you (especially as a teenager), but it's one of my "Daddy jobs" to make sure you try your best.

3) Smart people aren't necessarily wise people:
Being smart is knowing what to do in a given situation, being wise is actually doing it.  These are two different skills.  One involves learning, the other involves action.  Knowledge means nothing unless it is acted upon--everyday!

God gave you this world to explore--continue to do so with the fascination of a child's mind.  Find your passion, then learn as much as you can about it.  Once you do, put that knowledge to action and gain wisdom.  While you're learning, don't forget about the source of all knowledge and wisdom and put those things into practice as well!  We don't want our ladders leaning up against the wrong wall...

Love,
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment